Sanitation for Girls
Helping girls and female teachers to access safe water and sanitation, so they are no longer forced to stay at home during their period.
- Project: The Heshima Project
- Area: Kwale, Kenya
- Beneficiaries: Children attending school
- Reach: 3,200 children (50% girls) per cluster of schools
- Duration: 1 year
Children are staying healthy at school with clean water, sanitation and hygiene facilities.
- Each school has the right water, sanitation and hygiene facilities and is able to maintain them
- Children understand the link between hygiene and staying healthy
- Girls can manage their menstrual health with dignity
Without safe water and clean sanitation, girls in rural areas can miss up to a week of lessons every month - causing many to fall behind and even drop out. By changing community attitudes towards girls and their period, discrimination and bullying can also be reduced.
For more information about how you can support our work please email [email protected] or call +44 (0)1892 519 619. We'll only use the information you provide to deal with your request.