Fundraise at school
Fundraising at your own school can make a huge difference to the lives of young people in rural Africa. Whether it’s an on-going link with a school in Africa or a one-off donation, your support could help children access the quality education they deserve.
The challenge for schools in rural Africa
The schools and communities we work with in Kenya and Uganda face many challenges, meaning children often leave school without receiving the quality of education they deserve:
- Discrimination against minorities, children living with disabilities and girls prevent them from attending or staying in school
- Families living in poverty can’t afford to support their children's education
- Teachers lack proper training or support, so they struggle to effectively engage their students or stay motivated
- Classrooms can be unsafe and are often missing vital textbooks and resources
- Toilets can be unhygienic and water supplies unsafe, putting children at risk of preventable diseases
How will your school benefit?
Our School Fundraising Programme, developed in consultation with UK teachers, provides lesson plans linked to the national curriculum, as well as school presentations, games and resources to help your students:
- Gain a better understanding of global issues
- Learn about the cause they are supporting
- Establish links between their lives and the lives of those that they are helping
- Understand the work of charities
- Develop participation skills and their role in active global citizenship
- Work as a team to understand how individual and collective actions can benefit others
Your school will also gain an unforgettable insight into life and learning in a school in sub-Saharan Africa.
What could your school achieve?
- £150 could buy sports equipment, including footballs, volleyballs and netballs, for one school
- £200 could provide textbooks and learning resources, such as educational games and visual aids, for one class
- £500 could provide a handwashing station, so children have a clean and hygienic place to wash their hands
- £1,200 could pay for a new 10,000 litre water tank, providing children with access to clean, safe drinking water
- £2,000 could equip 100 parents, who may not have an education themselves, with practical skills to help their children learn at home
- £4,100 could build an accommodation block for teachers, so those who live a long distance from school have somewhere to stay during the week. This means they can arrive at the classroom promptly and with plenty of energy to teach
- £9,750 could build a safe and hygienic toilet block with eight latrines
- £11,700 could pay for a new classroom block for one year group, providing a safe, reliable and accessible place for them to learn
For more information about fundraising at school please contact [email protected] or call 01892 519619.